Food For Four

Gỏi Bưởi Tôm- Pomelo Salad with Prawns

Posted on | June 12, 2010 | Uncategorized | 8 Comments

Pomelo tree

After months of waiting, the pomelos from my parent’s trees are ready to be picked. This year we seem to have more pomelos than previous years (70+ pomelos). There are way too many pomelos for one to eat and like most years my parents will be giving most of it away to family and friends.

cut pomelo

For me the best way to enjoy pomelos is to dip the juicy flesh with a bit of chilli salt. These pomelos are sweet and slightly sour so the chilli salt will enhance the sweetness.

Vietnamese Pomelo Salad

Another way to enjoy the delicious pomelos is to make a refreshing salad. This salad is very juicy, vibrant, packed with flavours and full of wonderful textures. What surprised me with this dish is that the wonderful sweet juices of the pomelo just burst into your mouth with every bite.

Goi Buoi Tom

Gỏi Bưởi Tôm – Pomelo Salad with Prawns
Serves 4

1 large pomelo
400g prawns, cooked, peeled, deveined, with tails intact
1/2 small carrot, grated
1/2 cup sliced herbs leaves (Vietnamese coriander, perilla leaves and Vietnamese mint)
2 tablespoons fried red Asian shallot
2 tablespoons roughly chopped peanuts
3 tablespoons of fish sauce dressing

Method

Peel the pomelo and remove the flesh from each of the segments. Break the flesh into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the cooked prawns, grated carrot, herbs and fish sauce dressing and gently toss to mix well.

Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with peanuts and fried shallots.

goi buoi

This is my contribution to Delicious Vietnam, a monthly blogging event celebrating Vietnamese cuisine created by A Food Lovers Journey and Ravenous Couple.

DELICIOUSVIETNAM-LOGO

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

8 Responses to “Gỏi Bưởi Tôm- Pomelo Salad with Prawns”

1. ravenouscouple
    June 13th, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Looks soo good! those prawns look so juicy–the tartness of the pomelo and flavors of nuoc mam combine to make this an awesome salad.

2. Amy
    June 13th, 2010 @ 10:51 pm

I can vaguely remember eating something like this fruit when I was young. I don’t recall eating in my adult years.

I love dipping apples and green mangoes in chili salt. Yummy!

3. Yen
    June 13th, 2010 @ 11:25 pm

Amy, I’m so with you on the chilli salt. I prefer sour fruits so that I can dip it chilli salt, especially the green mangoes. Now you’re making my mouth water.

4. Forager
    June 14th, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

Yum! Love your blog! I love pomelo and my parents have a very productive tree too – it seems to fruit all year round, but unlike yours, ours won’t be ready for a few months yet, they’re not much bigger than oranges. I love pomelo salads – my favourite is the chicken and prawn combination.

5. Anh
    June 15th, 2010 @ 10:13 am

This is absolutely wonderful, I love pomelo. You know che buoi? OMG!!! Of course the salad is nice, too. And I am with you and Amy about the chilli salt thing :D

6. chocolatesuze
    June 18th, 2010 @ 12:29 am

yum i absolutely love pomelo it’s so refreshing! this salad looks fantastic!

7. Conor @ HoldtheBeef
    July 4th, 2010 @ 2:54 am

I’m a pomelo ignoramus. I wish I could take some of them off your parents’ hands to remedy this. And while I’m making wishes, I’ll wish for some of this salad too.

8. The Ravenous Couple » Delicious Vietnam 2: A Delicious Symphony!
    April 20th, 2011 @ 4:15 am

[...] Goi Buoi Tom Pomelo Salad with Prawns by Yen of Food for Four, Sydney Australia [...]