Food For Four

Gỏi Gà – Vietnamese Chicken and Cabbage Salad

Posted on | May 12, 2010 | Asian Recipes, Recipes, Vietnamese Recipes | 11 Comments

Vietnamese Chicken and Cabbage Salad

I love this vibrant and refreshing salad with chicken congee. This deliciously cold and crunchy salad is a perfect contrast to the hot and soft congee. It’s also makes a delicious salad on it’s own.

Goi ga

Gỏi Gà – Chicken and Cabbage Salad Recipe

1/2 kg cooked shredded chicken (or use the chicken meat from making the congee)
1/4 cabbage, finely sliced
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced matchsticks
1/2 onion (red or brown)
1 cup herbs (Vietnamese mint, mint and coriander)
3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons fried shallots

1/2 lemon juice
4 tablespoon of white vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons sugar

1 cup fish sauce dipping sauce

Method

In a small bowl, combine, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and sugar. Stir until sugar and salt dissolves.

In a large bowl, add cabbage, carrot, onion, herbs, chicken and vinegar mixture. Gently toss to well combined.

Turn salad to a serving platter and sprinkle roasted peanuts, fried shallots and serve with fish sauce dipping sauce.

Goi Ga - Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

11 Responses to “Gỏi Gà – Vietnamese Chicken and Cabbage Salad”

1. Anh
    May 12th, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

I wonder what’s the different between goi ga and the ga xe phay I’ve eaten since childhood? Probably carrot? Ha! Don’t care. This is such a classic dish!

2. alyssa
    May 14th, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

love this dish although I’ll wait until summer again to make it as it’s a bit cold now in Sydney. The chao ga recipe is perfect for this time of the year though!

3. Yen
    May 16th, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

@ Anh: Goi ga and the ga xe phay are the same. I have always known this dish as goi ga. I always add carrots to my salads to give it extra colour.

@ Alyssa: This is a great summer dish.

4. Renita
    May 18th, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

wow, what lovely vibrant colours! I can just imagine all the different textures when you take a bite!

5. Mai@FlavorBoulevard
    May 18th, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

My mom makes this salad a lot. It’s so simple and so refreshing. Your recipe is more sophisticated than my mom’s though :-) , she just uses chicken, cabbage, lemon juice, salt and sugar. How does the fish sauce enhance the taste? How long can this dish stay in the fridge?

6. Amy @ cookbookmaniac.com
    May 19th, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

I really love this salad. Its so refreshing and light. I love it with some small pickled onions too.

7. Trissa
    May 20th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Ahhh – this looks so refreshingly delicious! It is such a colourful salad – I can tell it’s packed full of flavour.

8. Conor @ HoldtheBeef
    May 22nd, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

I really do love these types of salads, no matter the time of year. This looks like a great one, and photographed so well too!

9. Sweets By Vicky
    June 4th, 2010 @ 11:35 am

MMM, I am loving this. I also love the dish with the rice vermicelli in it? and you toss toss toss all the yummy veggies and meat together. HEAVEN.

10. april
    June 19th, 2010 @ 9:27 am

I love eating this rolled in rice paper. SO delicious.

11. Christine
    January 8th, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

I worked in a Chinese restaurant for many years. Not as a chef…. But this dish i loved so much. The chefs made special dishes like this just for us… Not the public. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Many dishes like this brings back fond memories if working w/ my Mongolian, Vietnamese friends.