Food For Four

Gỏi Ngó Sen Tôm Thịt – Vietnamese Lotus Stem Salad with Prawns and Pork

Posted on | April 10, 2010 | Asian Recipes, Recipes, Vietnamese Recipes | 15 Comments

Lotus Stem Salad

Vietnamese salad is healthy, refreshing and has an explosion of flavours. A Vietnamese salad always makes an appearance at every of my family parties.

This delicious lotus stem salad is another version of a Vietnamese salad with prawns and pork I made previously. Using the lotus stem gives this salad an amazing crunch. This refreshing, vibrant and healthy salad is very simple to make. It has great combination of textures and flavours. What I also love about this salad is the use of Vietnamese herbs. It really adds another dimension to the dish.

Lotus Stem

This is picked lotus stem. I bought this from a Vietnamese grocery and it is sold by the kilo and it’s self-serve from a huge container. I have not tried the ones sold from the jars.

Goi Ngon Sen - Lotus Stem Salad

Gỏi Ngó Sen Tôm Thịt – Vietnamese Lotus Stem Salad with Prawns and Pork

Ingredients

400g lotus stem
400g prawns
100g pork neck
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1 carrot, julienned
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoon white vinegar
pinch salt
handful of Vietnamese mint leaves (rau răm), coarsely chopped
handful of mint, coarsely chopped
fried shallot
roughly chopped peanuts
prawn crackers
fish sauce dipping sauce

Method

Prepare the fish sauce dipping sauce.

Softening and pickling the carrot is optional (I prefer mine with less crunch). In a small bowl, add vinegar, sugar and a pinch. Add the julienned carrot and mix well. Set aside.

Cook the pork neck and then slice thinly.

Cook the prawns and de-shell and de-veined (leave tail on prawns for presentation is optional).

Rinse the lotus stem. If lotus stem is not already cut in about 7cm in length then cut them. I prefer the lotus stem in thin strips, so slice the lotus stem 1/2 (or even 1/4) lengthways. Once the lotus stem are sliced, squeeze out the water from the lotus by using a muslin cloth.

Drain the vinegar mixture from the carrot by using a muslin cloth and squeeze out all the water.

In a large bowl, combine lotus root, red onion, carrot, mint leaves, prawns and pork. Give all the ingredients a gentle toss.

Turn out to a serving platter. Garnish with crushed peanuts and fried shallots. Pour some fish sauce dipping sauce onto the salad and serve with prawn crackers.

Lotus Stem Salad with Prawns and Pork

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

15 Responses to “Gỏi Ngó Sen Tôm Thịt – Vietnamese Lotus Stem Salad with Prawns and Pork”

1. Belle@OohLook
    April 10th, 2010 @ 11:36 pm

What a deliciously vibrant salad! I’ve never had lotus stem before – is it like lotus root? I love how the cross-section looks like Brighton rock!

2. Yen
    April 11th, 2010 @ 11:36 pm

Thank Belle. Apart from the crunchiness, lotus root and lotus stem has a different texture. Lotus stem is chewy and lighter.

3. Anh
    April 12th, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

The stuff sold in the jar is fine, too. And it keeps a bit longer.

I was thinking about this salad the other day. But it’s so cold here, I am opting for something else instead!

4. MaryMoh
    April 12th, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

That’s a very beautiful salad….colourful, refreshing and delicious. I love Vietnamese food. Just had it over the weekend at a Vietnamese restaurant.

5. Linda@eatshowandtell
    April 13th, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

hey guys, just wanted to tell you that I’ve spent the last 2 hours reading through your blog and I loved every second of it. Everything you made reminds me of my mums cooking, and you really did stay true to what I think are original recipes. Love it! It’s definitely inspired me to cook more vietnamese/chinese food at home.

6. Yen
    April 15th, 2010 @ 1:50 am

Thanks Linda for the lovely comment. My mum has been an inspiration as all the Vietnamese recipes are from her. I hope my girls will grow to love and appreciate Vietnamese cuisine when they are older.

7. flavorboulevard
    April 17th, 2010 @ 11:55 am

This is my most favorite kind of gỏi! I love bánh phồng tôm too. I don’t have a kitchen, and I don’t live with my mom, so Vietnamese dishes are a luxury for me now.

8. Phuoc'n Delicious
    April 17th, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

What a refreshing salad you have here. I’m craving for some of it now! Mmmmm

9. Glutenshmooten
    April 21st, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

looks amazing, love your photos so beautiful!

10. Emily
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Hi Yen,

I ate plenty of lotus root when I was young, didn’t know that you can also eat the stem too.
    The salad looks so healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing. :)

Emily

11. Megan
    April 23rd, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

This looks yummy and nutritious. The colors are great. And I love shrimp!

12. zmm
    May 26th, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

Wow.. I didn’t know Lotus Stems are edible..

But not sure if it’s available in Malaysia though.

Btw, love all the Vietnamese food you are making.. so healthy, so much greens and the colours are all so vibrant.

13. Kieu
    July 29th, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

My son’s birthday party is next weekend and I will definitely make this dish!

14. yum vietnamese recipes
    January 9th, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

wow, i love your site and your recipes so much. Make my to do list right away.

15. yen to
    July 25th, 2012 @ 9:46 am

I like goi ngo sen and i make it for my family. when vietnamese new year or party