Food For Four

The Cookbook Challenge Week 18: Garlic and Mustard Beef Skewers

Posted on | March 21, 2010 | Cookbook Challenge, Recipes | 9 Comments

Beef Skewers

Summer is still lingering on, temperatures are still in the low thirties. With the Cookbook Challenge being “barbeque” we decided to have a simple barbeque lunch in our backyard. The lunch was not anything special – just the four of us and the electric health grill. Our electric grill is now the barbeque substitute as our four burner bbq was put away in storage since it’s too big and is a pain to clean.

I always tend to marinate meat with asian flavours but thought I’ll try something different this time. I decided to do a garlic and mustard beef skewers to make use of the wholegrain mustard which we got at the “Breakfast on the Bridge” event.

When I see the word mustard always reminds me of the yellow mustard which I don’t really like. I don’t think I have ever had wholegrain mustard before. This particular brand was very, very mild. I feel the need to double the amount to get more flavour. I’m really liking wholegrain mustard now.

My skewers was a little dry compared to the picture in the cookbook as I did not add the red wine vinegar, but did not substitute it for anything else since the mustard already has vinegar.

I really like this marinate on beef and I think I would do it again.

garlic mustard beef skewers

Garlic and Mustard Beef Skewers
From Seasons by Donna Hay

500g rump steakk, cut into pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon seeded mustard
rocket (arugula) leaves, to serve
mountain bread or flatbread, to serve
aioli, to serve

Method

Place the steak, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and mustard in a bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat a char-grill or barbeque over high heat.

Thread the beef onto skewers and char-grill or barbeque for 2 – 3 minutes each for medium rate or until cooked to your liking.

Serve with the rocket leaves, mountain bread and aioli.

garlic and mustard beef skewers

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

9 Responses to “The Cookbook Challenge Week 18: Garlic and Mustard Beef Skewers”

1. Trissa
    March 21st, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

This looks absolutely tasty! Great idea to use the mustard you got – I am sure it would have added lots of flavour.

2. Mark @ Cafe Campana
    March 22nd, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

I love BBQ food. The smokieness is addictive. These look good.

3. Amy @ cookbookmaniac.com
    March 22nd, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

You make all your food look so tasty and appetizing. Your photographs are always perfect!

4. MaryMoh
    March 23rd, 2010 @ 12:05 am

Mmmm….delicious! I can eat a lot of that. Reminds me of the satays back home. Now You have just started my craving!

5. vincent
    March 23rd, 2010 @ 7:14 am

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

6. Belle@OohLook
    March 24th, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

Yes, wholegrain mustard can be mild, and even a bit sweet sometimes. I love the idea of bbq-ed skewers!

7. Katherinw
    March 27th, 2010 @ 10:30 am

What a simple and delicious marinade. I like rocket with wraps. Oh how I will miss the summer months. Nice dish

8. Barbecue or BBQ sauce? | Addictive and consuming
    March 31st, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

[...] & lime Agnes from Off the Spork – Lamb with coriander & chilli Yen from Food for Four – Garlic & mustard beef skewers Anthea from What’s For Tea? – Mexican style BBQ corn Sarah from The Sugar Junkie – Chicken [...]

9. The Cookbook Challenge: Week 18 BBQ theme round up